What do Oriental roaches look like?
Adult oriental roaches grow to about 1 inch in length; their body is smooth and shiny black in color. The female oriental roach has a wide body, while the male has a more narrow body; another difference between the two sexes is that the male’s wings are more developed than the females. Neither the female or male oriental roach is capable of flight. Oriental cockroaches are often identified by the very powerful, musty, foul-smelling odor that they emit.
Do Oriental roaches bite?
The bad news is that Oriental roaches have the ability to bite people. The good news is, Oriental roaches very rarely, if ever bite people.
Are Oriental roaches dangerous?
Oriental cockroaches are very dangerous to have invading your home. Allergens from Oriental roach shed skins and feces have the ability to trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in people, especially in young children. They carry and spread dangerous bacteria, human pathogens, and parasites on their bodies and legs that they pick up while crawling through garbage, sewage, and drains. Inside of homes, the cockroaches contaminate food, utensils, dishes, and food prep areas with bacteria, parasites, and their feces.
Signs of an Oriental roach infestation
Oriental roaches typically live outside, but when the weather becomes too hot or dry they look to move inside where they can find easy access to food and water sources. You’ll know you have an Oriental roach problem if you see the following signs:
- Adult Oriental roaches can be found living outside in mulch beds, under leaf and wood piles, underneath fallen logs, and in garbage piles
- Oriental roaches can be found during the day hiding in the dark, quiet areas of your home that have close access to water sources. Place like basements, crawl spaces, and laundry rooms.
- Shed cockroach exoskeletons and egg casings. These are often found in dark areas of such as under cabinets, in drawers, and under appliances.
- In the case of a very big infestation, you may notice a musty smell in your home.
- Coffee grind-like feces. Roach poop looks like coffee grinds and are often found in areas in utensil drawers, underneath sinks, and in cabinets.
How do you get rid of Oriental roaches?
The best way to get rid of Oriental cockroaches is to contact a pest control company. Cockroaches breed very quickly, making them quite difficult to control on your own. If you’re concerned about roaches in your home or business, contact Spencer Pest Services. Our team will provide a free inspection and recommend treatment that is best suited for your home or business.