Smokey brown cockroaches look like and are related to the American cockroach, and the small differences in their size, reproduction rates, and habits don’t make them any less dreadful to have around. Adult smokey brown roaches are 1 1/2” long, making them a bit smaller than the American roach, and are entirely dark brown, and oval in shape with antennae. Their wings are longer than their bodies and both the male and female can fly. This variety of roach, like most roaches, are very dangerous when found in your home. They carry bacteria, parasites, and disease on their bodies, and deliver them throughout your home. It is also somewhat common for roaches’ shed skin and feces to cause allergies and asthma in young children.
Smokey brown roaches usually live outdoors, and can normally only be seen at night around gutters, landscaping, and outdoor lights. Their droppings are brown or black cylinders that can be found usually in dark moist places. They find their way into homes while looking for food by walking along utility wires, pipes, and cables, gaining access through the gaps. They also enter through cracks and holes in foundations and exterior walls. Once inside, they tend to prefer kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and attics, and will sometimes remain indoors if conditions are favorable. This is the last thing you want to have happen.
Getting rid of any cockroach is difficult because they are very evasive, and move quickly when they are out and about. You will want to get the help of a professional pest control company with cockroach experience to ensure that the roaches are gone, and may want their advice or assistance putting in place the measures needed to keep them out. To help prevent roaches from entering your home you can try these cockroach prevention tips:
- Block all entry points by caulking or sealing them, including cracks, crevices, holes, and gaps in your homes foundation, exterior walls, utility entrances, windows, and doors
- Fix or replace all damaged screen, vents, soffits, and chimney caps
- Put door sweeps on exterior doors
- Take out your trash regularly
- Keep outdoor trash stored away from your home, and with tight-fitting lids
- Use yellow bulbs for outdoor lighting
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately
- Keep counters free of crumbs and wiped down often
- Vacuum floors on a regular basis
- Store food in secure containers with tight-fitting lids
- Call Spencer Pest Services
We can eliminate smokey brown roaches from your yard and home with one of our year-round customizable pest control packages. Our experienced technicians are trained to help you with all of your pest problems. Give us a call today.