While the southern portion United States is not known for its cold winter weather, the temperatures can get pretty chilly at times. Many people have come to rely on wood to help take the chill out of the air and warm up their homes. A wood stove not only provides a cozy atmosphere within your home, but it is cost effective and, in general, very easy to purchase and maintain. But, did you know that as you stock your wood box, you may not be bringing only firewood into your home? That’s right! Bugs and other pests love to hide and live in firewood; and if you aren’t careful, you may be introducing pests into your home along with that warmth!
At Spencer Pest Services we want to help you avoid pest infestations while allowing you to still enjoy the benefits of that wood stove! Listed below are some great tips that we came across from the experts at the University of Kentucky Extension program to help keep your home free from firewood pests.
- When stacking firewood, place it on pallets to keep it off the ground which will help to keep the wood dry and prevent insects like termites and ants from being attracted to it.
- Do not place stacked wood directly against the exterior of your home, this gives insects easy access into your home.
- Rotate your woodpile, always using older wood first; older wood is more likely to be infested.
- Inspect and shake the wood logs that you are bringing into your home to dislodge any pests.
- Only bring in the amount of wood that you are going to use for that particular day.
- Store wood in a cool place; cooler temperature keep pests inactive. Storing wood in a warm environment will only increase insect activity levels.
- During the spring and summer months, keep woodpiles covered to discourage pests from using it as a nesting area.
- Never treat firewood with pesticides; the pesticides can create dangerous fumes when the wood is burned.
Despite your best intentions bugs and other pests are crafty and may find a way into your home. If this happens, the best course of action is to get help from a professional as quickly as possible to limit the infestation and reduce damages. At Spencer Pest Services, our pest control professionals can quickly and safely eliminate pests from your home through our residential pest control services! Contact us today to see how we can help you to keep your home free of bugs, rodents, and other pests!