When we don’t see pests, sometimes we forget a threat exists. Termites can be elusive pests that we don’t think too much about. They can stay busy inside our walls for years without us realizing they are destroying our homes. If we take the ‘out of sight, out of mind’ approach with termites, we may find ourselves with thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.
Termite season is in full swing in Greenville. For homeowners, this means you should be taking steps to prepare your home to keep these invaders out. If you haven’t yet secured termite treatment and need protection, you should call Spencer Pest Services as soon as possible.
Why Termite Season is in Full Swing in Greenville
By nature of their reproductive habits, spring is termite swarming season. Once the first warm day and spring rainstorm hits, termite swarmers will take flight from their colonies. As swarmers leave their nest, they are looking for mates and a new nesting location. If their original nest was somewhere near your property, your home may be the perfect target for their satellite colony. Termites are already swarming in Greenville, so it’s time to take steps to keep them off your property.
What Termite Season Means for Homeowners
Throughout the year, but particularly during termite season, you should be keeping your eyes open for signs of termites, which include:
- Winged pests congregating near your windows or in cracks in your deck, foundation, or woodpiles, which are often mistaken for flying ants.
- Wings, shed from swarmers, that have been discarded along window sills, in corners, and around wood structures.
- Sawdust-like piles around your framework, decks, or other wood on your property, indicating that termites are chewing tunnels through the wood.
- Mud tubes on your foundation, in your basement, or in other areas around your home. These tubes are used by termites to retain their moisture as they travel around.
Last-Minute Steps if you are Unprepared for Termite Season
You can take some last-minute steps to protect your home from termites:
- Remove any moist or decaying wood, like rotted decks or downed trees, from your property.
- Stack woodpiles as far from your home as you can and avoid wood-to-soil contact.
- Seal cracks in your foundation, caulk around windows, install vent screens, and utilize door sweeps.
- Reduce moisture by irrigating landscaping properly, repairing leaky faucets and hoses, and using dehumidifiers in attics and basements.
Seek Professional Pest Control
There is only one proven method for keeping termites away from your home, and that is professional pest control. The experts at Spencer Pest Services in Greenville can help you. We utilize the Sentricon® System with Always Active™ to eliminate current termite infestations and protect your home from future invasions. Contact us to help protect your Greenville home this spring.