There are many species of stinging insects that can be found in the South Carolina region, some more dangerous than others. When dealing with these stinging pests, there are many important things to know, including the threats and dangers they pose to people, how to identify them, and how to get rid of them. Here are some prevention tips to help keep you, your family, and pets protected from South Carolina stinging pests throughout the upcoming summer months.
The species of stinging insects in our area that you need to be aware of are hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets. All three of these stinging insects are known for delivering painful stings to people; all three of these stinging insects have smooth stingers, which means that they are able to sting repeatedly. Yellow jackets and hornets are the most aggressive and are the easiest to agitate. It is important to understand that the venom from all three species of stinging insect is very strong and has the potential to cause severe allergic reactions that may require medical attention.
If wasps, yellow jackets, or hornets decide to create their nest in or around your home, they can create problems for you and your family. These stinging insects can cause damage to the exterior structure of your home and nest behind your home’s walls, creating a noisy, smelly, and dangerous situation inside your home; if stinging insects have decided to nest near an entrance or exit of your home, there is the risk of disturbing them and being stung every time you leave or come home. The presence of these pests on your property may also cause unpleasant experiences at any BBQ’s and other outdoor events that you may host this summer.
To help protect yourself and your family from being stung while trying to enjoy the warm, sunny weather this summer, try these helpful stinging insect prevention tips:
- Avoid planting copious amounts of colorful flowers and plants on your property, especially near your home, deck, or patio; stinging insects are often attracted to brightly colored flowers and plants.
- When spending time in your yard, do not wear brightly colored clothing or floral perfumes or lotions, if possible; all of those things can attract stinging insect to you.
- Make sure that all outdoor garbage cans have locking lids on them.
- When eating outside, keep covers on food that is not being eaten and take any leftover food back inside immediately after you and your family are done eating.
- Regularly inspect your home and property for stinging insect nests; stay away from any that you do discover.
If you are experiencing problems with stinging insects on your South Carolina property, contact the stinging insect control experts at Spencer Pest Services. Our family of experts can help to protect your family from stinging insects through our bee and wasp control services. We will work to eliminate the problem by performing the necessary services, as well as offer advice so that you can prevent a future infestation. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our highly effective services and how we can rid your home of dangerous stinging pests.