When you finally purchase your own Greenville home, you are likely to find that there are a lot of little maintenance tasks you had no idea existed back when you were renting. Changing filters, cleaning dryer vents, checking smoke alarms etc. There are dozens of these projects that must be done in order to ensure your home stays in good condition.
One of these tasks is keeping gutters clean. Gutters are a portion of your home that you probably don’t think about very often. Even though you see them every day, you don’t really notice or pay attention to them. However, if you leave them unattended, you could end up with some big problems on your hands.
Fall is an especially important time of year to clean gutters because it is the time of year when they are most likely to become clogged. As trees lose their summer splendor, those leaves have to end up somewhere. Even if you don’t have trees very close to your house, the wind can carry leaves quite a distance and some of them will inevitably end up in your gutters.
Why are clean gutters so important? There are several reasons!
- First of all, you have gutters for a reason, to control the flow of rainwater. If your gutters are clogged, they can’t do their job. When it rains, the water will overflow, leaving the water to drip down over the sides of the gutters, falling onto your head as you step outside and leaving puddles all around your house.
- To go along with that first reason, controlling the flow of water is important in order to keep your home protected from water damage. If rainwater is allowed to build up around the base of your home instead of being directed away from your home by gutters, you could end up with water in your basement which can cause a lot of moisture problems.
- Clogged gutters are a great spot for yellow jackets and other stinging insects to build nests. These are not pests you want close to your home.
- If you allow gutters to become clogged, they’ll fill with leaves, pollen, and other debris from the trees, shrubs, and bushes in the area. If you struggle with seasonal allergies, having these items rotting and molding in the gutters all around your home will only exacerbate your symptoms.
- Keeping your gutters clear will help prevent a number of pests from bothering you. Animals and insects will not build nests in clear gutters. Animals are less likely to invade a home that does not have an obvious water supply. Animals can’t hide in the debris in gutters if there is no debris in your gutters.
- Keeping your gutters clean, along with maintaining the rest of your yard, is an essential part of preventing pests from invading your home. If you haven’t already, be sure to add it to your home maintenance checklist.
While keeping gutters clean will certainly help limit some of the pest problems homeowners face, nothing is better than a year-round residential pest control program from Spencer Pest Services. Give us a call today to learn more about these plans and decide which plan is best for your home and budget.